The Period of Samhan
It I presumed that the region was Bulmijiguk of the 54 states of Mahan and was called Balla and Tongui during the Baekje period.
It was originally called Geumseong-gun (a.k.a., Geumsan) before it came to be renamed as Naju in 903 CE. It was a fiefdom of Later Baekje during the Later Three Kingdoms.
The Period of Goryeo
In 983 CE (the 2nd year during King Seongjong’s reign), Naju-mok was installed as one of the 12 mok(‘prefecture’) in the kingdom and in 995 CE (the 14th year of King Seongjong’s reign), Byeongmajeoldosa (‘provincial commanding general’) was appointed, calling the military post Jinhae-gun.
In 1011 CE (the 2nd year of King Hyeonjong’s reign) when the Khitans invaded the kingdom, the town served as a temporary capital (between Jan. 13 and Jan. 31, 1011). In 1018 CE, it became Naju-mok as one of the 8 nationwide moks, which lasted until 1895 CE.
The Joseon Period
In the 2nd year of King Sejo’s reign (1457 CE), the dynasty installed geojin as a subordinate unit of the military post and Byeongmasa, the commanding of the post, was also assumed by moksa (‘mok mayor’). In the 8th year of King Hyojong’s reign (1657 CE), Naju Geojin was rezoned as Jeollauyeong (‘the right post of Jeolla’) and Uyeongjang (‘Commanding general of the right post’) was appointed to govern the military forces in 2 counties and 8 prefectures. Thus, the jurisdictional area expanded.
Through the modern reform of the provincial administrative system that followed Gabogyeongjang in May 1895 (the 32nd year of King Gojong’s reign), moksa and uyeongjang were deleted whereas Naju-gunsu (‘county mayor’) was appointed and Naju Gwanchalbu was installed.
The Early Years of the 1900s
- The administrative reorganization on Mar. 1, 1914 included Nampyeong-gun, Jeokryang, Jangbon, and Yeohwang of Hampyeong-gun, and Songrok-ri and Songha-ri in Soji-myeon in Gwangsan-gun (making total 43 myeons).
- Municipal Decree 111 dated Mar. 1, 1914(proclaimed on Dec. 29, 1913) combined bus, guns, and myeons while deleting some of them to make 19 myeons in total.
- In Apr. 1929, the two myeons of Naju and Nasin were combined to make Naju-myeon (making 18 myeons in all).
- Municipal Decree 132 dated Nov. 1, 1931 (proclaimed on Oct. 20, 1931) upgraded Naju-myeon to Naju-eup to make 1 eup and 17 myeons.
- Municipal Decree 80 dated Jul. 1, 1937 (proclaimed on Jun. 28, 1937) upgraded Yeongsan-myeon to Yeongsanpo-eup to make 2 eups and 16 myeons in all.
- After the National Liberation on Aug. 15, 1945, Presidential Decree 161 dated Aug. 14, 1949 (proclaimed on Aug. 13, 1949) combined Samdo-meyon, Pyeongdong-myeon, and Bonryang-myeon into Gwangsan-gun to make 2 eups and 13 myeons in all.
- Naju-gun Ordinance 385 dated May 19, 1971 (proclaimed on May 19, 1971) installed Daso Branch Office in Dado-myeon and Nambu Branch Office in Bonghwang-myeon to make 2 eups, 13 myeons, 2 branch offices, 188 dongris, 435 operating dongris, and 671 natural villages.
- Law No. 3425 dated Jul. 1, 1981 (proclaimed on Apr. 13, 1981) upgraded Naju-eup and Yeongsanpo-eup to Geumseong-si, separating it from Naju-gun (si with 11 dongs and gun with 13 myeons and 2 branch offices)
- Presidential Decree 11027 dated Feb. 15, 1983 (proclaimed on Jan. 10, 1983) reincluded in Dasi-myeon Cheongjeong-ri, Unbong-ri, and Singwang-ri and part of Okdang-ri in Munpyeong-myeon in Naju-gun.
- Law No. 3978 dated Jan. 1, 1986 (proclaimed Dec. 28, 1985) renamed Geumseong-si as Naju-si.
- Law No, 4774 dated Jan. 1, 1995 (proclaimed on Aug. 3, 1994) combined Naju-si and Naju-gun to make 13 myeons, 11 dongs, and 2 branch offices.
- Law No. 4789 dated Mar. 1, 1995 (proclaimed on Dec. 20, 1994) upgraded Nampyeong-myeon to Nampyeong-eup to make 1 eup, 12 myeons, 11 dongs, and 2 branch offices in all.
- Naju-si Ordinance 169 dated Feb. 10, 1996 (proclaimed on Feb. 10, 1996) included part of Samdo-dong in Naju-si in Geumcheon-myeon.
- Naju-si Ordinance 184 dated Jun. 24, 1996 (proclaimed on Jun. 24, 1996) renamed Hachon-ri in Bannam-myeon as Seonggye-ri in the same myeon and Sinpung-ri in Dasi-myeon as Hoejin-ri in the same myeon.
- On Oct. 1, 1998, Naju-si Ordinance 314 (proclaimed on Sep. 14, 1998) combined Hyanggyo-dong, Geumnam-dong, and Namsan-dong into Geumnam-dong, Seongbuk-dong and Songhyeon-dong into Seongbuk-dong, Yeongsan-dong and Budeok-dong into Yeongsan-dong, and Ichang-dong and Gaya-dong into Ichang-dong and Naju-si Ordinance 313 (proclaimed on Sep. 14, 1998) deleted Daso Branch Office in Dado-myeon and Nambu Branch Office in Bonghwang-myeon (making 1 eup, 12 myeons, and 6 dongs in all).
- On Sep. 28, 1999, Naju-si Ordinance 360 (proclaimed on Sep. 28, 1999) incorporated part of Deokrye-ri, Sanpo-myeon, and Naju-si into Pyeongsan-ri, Nampyeong-eup, part of Deungsu-ri, Sanpo-myeon into Gyowon-ri, Nampyeong-eup, and part of Sinwon-ri, Wanggok-myeon into Jukdong-ri, Seji-myeon.
The First Decade of the New Millennium
- On May 2, 2001, Naju-si Ordinance 424 (proclaimed on May 2, 2001) split the 5 ris of Haksan-ri, Noan-myeon into 7 ris.
- On Jul. 1, 2003, Naju-si Rule 310 (proclaimed on Jul. 1, 2003) reorganized 22 tongs and 98 bans in Seongbuk-dong to 23 tongs and 108 bans in the same dong, and reorganized 22 tongs and 74 bans in Ichang-dong into 22 tongs and 79 bans in the same dong.
- On May 20, 2005, Naju-si Ordinance 574 (proclaimed on May 20, 2005) split 3-gu in Gyowon-ri, Nampyeong-eup into 3-gu and 4-gu.
- On Mar. 7, 2007, Naju-si Rule 375 (proclaimed on Mar. 7, 2007) created 24-tong and 25-tong out of 10-tong and 3-ban in Seongbuk-dong.
- On Nov. 3, 2008, Naju-si Ordinance 745 (proclaimed on Nov, 3, 2008) split 1-gu, Naejeong-ri, Seji-myeon into 1-gu and 3-gu and split 1-gu, Deungsu-ri, Sanpo-myeon into 1-gu and 2-gu.
- On Nov. 20, 2009, Naju-si Rule 443 (proclaimed on No. 20, 2009) split 23-tong in Yeongsan-dong into 23-tong and 24-tong in the same dong.